Phil is an experienced corporate lawyer who trained and qualified at Magic Circle law firm Linklaters. He then spent a number of years working in Linklaters’ Mainstream Corporate Department advising on a wide range of corporate and governance matters, specializing in complex, high value M&A and restructurings. In his latter time at Linklaters Phil sat with the Real Estate team helping to develop the firm’s Real Estate M&A practice.
Since joining Ignition, Phil has helped build a corporate practice focused on supporting founder led businesses and entrepreneurs more generally. Key areas of work include fund raises, founder exits and broader M&A and corporate structuring work. More recently Phil has become involved in the blockchain sector; advising a number of clients in the space on corporate structure and funding options.
Phil also presents to a number of national incubators and accelerators including:
- Innovate UK EDGE Pitchfest;
- Btomorrow Ventures (the CVC arm of BAT that also runs international venture builder initiatives); and
- Carbon13 (a climate change focused venture builder based in Cambridge).
Recent examples of recent work include advising:
- on the exit of the founders of Vox to Treliant, a complex and challenging deal that spanned the UK and the US;
- a FTSE listed company on multiple strategic acquisitions;
- two blockchain start-ups on an equity raise and restructuring, including offshore structure and interaction with a possible token issue;
- a successful MedTech company on several significant fund raises and general ongoing legal matters;
- a fast growing internationally backed EdTech company on a significant fund raise and ongoing legal matters;
- several non-UK based VCs on investments into UK start-ups;
- on a founder exit in the digital capability space to an AIM listed company; and
- a social impact fund on an equity raise and investor terms.