Nicky trained at Eversheds LLP (now Eversheds Sutherland LLP), where she qualified as an employment lawyer in 2010, and spent time working in both the international employment law team and the core UK team, advising employers across a range of sectors. Nicky went on to expand her practice to advising senior executives, during her time at Fox Williams LLP, and also gained valuable experience from working in-house, through a virtual secondment from Konexo to Amazon.
Nicky provides advice on a wide range of employment law topics to both employers and senior executives. Nicky has extensive experience advising on the whole spectrum of issues and documentation that are intrinsic to the employment lifecycle: from preparing and advising on employment contracts, consultancy agreements and policies, via dealing with disciplinary, grievance, discrimination, performance, sickness and other day-to-day people issues, all the way through to managing employee terminations and senior executive exits, including the drafting and review of settlement agreements, as well as conducting claims in the Employment Tribunal. Nicky can also assist in relation to business reorganisations and redundancies and provide advice on TUPE in business transfers and outsourcings.
Relevant experience includes:
- Drafting a suite of employment documentation for a start-up Intellectual Property law firm, including: employment and consultancy agreements; a staff handbook and associated policies, and an employee privacy notice;
- Assisting a digital media client to implement a flexible homeworking scheme and cross-border employment and consultancy contracts;
- Supporting a restauranteur client through the Covid19 crisis and advising on furlough agreements for its employees;
- Being a first point of contact for day-to-day HR queries for numerous clients;
- Advising founders on their exits (and companies on founder exits), particularly in relation to the interplay between the concurrent roles of employee, director and shareholder;
- Acting for a magazine publisher client to defend allegations of breach of contract, harassment, sex discrimination, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal;
- Securing a substantial settlement for a senior executive, against a FTSE 100 Company, in a case involving potential constructive dismissal, whistleblowing, sex discrimination and age discrimination;
- Managing a collective redundancy consultation for a US parent company, in relation to its manufacturing sites in the UK;
- Advising an IT infrastructure provider on a second generation outsourcing and associated restructure and redundancies;
- Providing employment law support in relation to the €1.7billion acquisition of the packaging division of a Swedish company, including collating employment law advice from over 20 jurisdictions in respect of information and consultation requirements.